WANT TO UP YOUR Sales Skills?

5-Ways-To-Get-A-Prospect-to-Call-you-Back
5 Ways To Get Prospects To Call You Back
September 15, 2018
Mindset-Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right
Mindset: “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re right”
September 26, 2018

5 Mistakes to Avoid Making in Sales

5-Mistakes-to-Avoid-Making-in-Sales

If you’re making these 5 mistakes in sales, you’re going to have a problem converting prospects into customers on a regular basis. Hit play on the video below or keep reading to find out what these mistakes are!

1. TALKING TOO MUCH ABOUT YOURSELF

5 Mistakes to Avoid Making in Sales- 70:30 Rule
If you sat down in a bar with someone and started having a conversation and all they talked about was themselves, how long would it take you to switch off and walk away? For me, it would take a few minutes at the most! Too many people make this mistake in day to day life and it’s a mistake you must avoid making in sales if you want to close the deal.
If you talk for too long about your product or service, it’s features and functions and why your prospect should buy it, they’re not going to be interested for long and they’ll walk away or hang up the phone.
Ensure you focus on your prospect- talk about their needs, their problems and their goals. Then, you can spend some time telling them a bit about your offering and how it can fulfil their needs, solve their problems and help them reach their goals. The general rule is you should spend 70% of the conversation listening and the other 30% talking!

2. GOING FOR THE SALE TOO QUICKLY

I’m doing a lot of work at the moment around how sales is like dating-. Imagine the first date is the first prospect meeting- you wouldn’t go in for a kiss on the first date without considering the risk of being rejected! Going in for the sale too quickly is the same.

Ask for the sale only once you’ve built a strong relationship and good rapport and only when the time is right.

3. NOT FOCUSING ON THE DECISION MAKER

Not qualifying your prospect effectively is one of the other huge mistakes to avoid making in sales. By not qualifying your prospect and confirming that they are the decision maker, you could waste an inordinate amount of time! Winning over someone that might use your product or service is all well and good but if they don’t have the power to agree to the sale, you’re wasting your time. Ensure that you ask them the question early on and if they’re not the decision maker, politely ask to be passed onto them and focus on engaging with the right person.

4. NOT DOING YOUR RESEARCH

I’ve had people reach out to me and it’s clear they haven’t taken the time to look at my website or my LinkedIn profile- they know nothing about me yet they still think they have a chance of selling to me. In my opinion, this is one of the biggest mistakes to avoid making in sales because it’s a completely wasted opportunity! Try and learn as much as you can about your prospect before picking up the phone or arranging a meeting with them. It doesn’t take long to do a bit of research and it really will pay off in the long run!

5. NOT OUTLINING THE END PROBLEM YOUR SERVICE SOLVES

I always say to my clients- people buy the hole, not the drill. Focusing on the features and the functions (the drill) will not get you anywhere but communicating what the outcome will be (the hole) will convince your prospect to buy from you.
In my business, I focus on how people feel when they hit their sales targets- that’s what sells because people want to get to that place. What is the end result that you can give your prospects? Focus on that and you’ll have a better chance of converting!
James White
James White
James White is the UK's leading prospect conversion expert. He understands what it takes to convert leads into real business within the modern digital era and what it takes to achieve business success.
James White

Get the latest Saturday Emails. Join hundreds of other ambitious sales people and sign up to receive my Saturday Sales Tips straight to your inbox: